Carolyn has been bringing her all-too-relatable, playfully snide, and laugh-out-loud funny creations to life for twelve years and counting. More than your traditional card marker—though she does hand-letter all her stuff herself—Carolyn has extended her signature style and humour into memorable giftware including vinyl stickers, enamel pins, magnets, and more! Her witticisms (with the lightest touch of sass) evoke more than one chuckle, and the animal friends on her cards are cute without being saccharinely cutesy.
We’re happy to have Carolyn and her creative caboodle at the Paper Hearts Pen Pal family! Find her online at @carolyndraws.
Did you ever think you’d be an entrepreneur?
Nobody is more surprised than I am that I run my own company.
What is your favourite part of getting a card or letter?
Finding out who it’s from! Also, a good laugh if it’s a good card. ;)
Where do you hang out online and why?
I have a Twitter problem—I’m a bit of a news junkie and follow some fun science people and organizations. Every time I check in, there’s something new there and I enjoy learning about it. You can also find me in the usual social media corners of the online world but I like Instagram for inspiration (and the pretty pictures).
What are your favourite parts of being an entrepreneur?
My favourite things about being my own boss are actually the reasons I became my own boss: the flexibility in work hours (even when there are a lot of work hours!), the challenges (because I always end up learning something new) and the satisfaction that comes from doing a good job (or the consequences of falling short).
What’re five fun facts about you?
- I used to be a creative director at an advertising agency. I’ve also worked as a waitress, veterinary assistant, Girl Guide leader, and games operator at an amusement park among other things.
- One of my dogs has three legs. It’s the least interesting thing about him.
- I have a science degree and love weird science-y things. Did you know all the planets in our solar system could fit in the space between Earth and the moon?
- This longtime hockey mom doesn’t skate!
- My fave place is our off-grid cabin; it has an outhouse, sketchy internet connection, and moose.